SOME provides over 70,000 pounds of groceries each year to thousands of hungry people. We support healthy eating at SOME and you can help by donating food items and/or organizing a food drive.
Food Wish List:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Canned fruit, in its own juice or water
- Canned vegetables, no added sodium
- Canned meats (chicken, salmon, tuna)
- Low-sodium soup
- Meals in a can (such as chili, beef stew, spaghetti)
- Whole wheat pasta and pasta sauce
- Low sugar cereal and oatmeal
- Healthy snacks
- Oils and vinegars
SOME cannot accept any opened food products or items with expired dates. Please coordinate with our Director of In-Kind Services, JaVon Hansknecht at email@example.com. We ask that you pre-sort your collected items by type ahead of time (for example all soups in one box, all veggies in another).
Organizing a food drive can be simple and fun as an effective way to help SOME combat hunger in our community. Consider organizing a food drive in your neighborhood or school, place of worship, or workplace.
Every item collected does make a difference!
If you are having a large food drive that may require pick-up service, please coordinate with our Director of In-Kind Services, JaVon Hansknecht at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOME distributes new and gently-used clothing donations, free of charge, for men, women, and children. Clothing should be appropriate for the season in which they are dropped off, should be laundered, and free of tears and/or stains. It is a great help to us if men’s, women’s, and children’s items are bagged separately.
Our greatest need is for men’s clothing and (new) underwear for men and women.
Clothing Wish List:
- New underwear for men and women, especially larger sizes
- New or gently worn socks for men and women
- New or gently worn bras
- Casual shoes
- Men’s jeans and casual pants
- Men’s shirts
- Sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets (cold season only)
Our organization offers Emergency Hygiene Kits, Feminine Product Packs, and other everyday hygiene items to those in need every Monday thru Friday. We collect items of all sizes and amounts which must be new/unused.
Toiletry Wish List:
- Baby wipes
- Diapers and pullups for babies and toddlers
- Pads and tampons
Making Emergency Hygiene Kits and Feminine Product Packs:
If you or your group are interested in creating these kits/packs for SOME guests, please reach out to email@example.com for specific instructions, item amounts, and resources. Inconsistent kits/packs will not be distributed but broken down to make future kits/packs.
SOME accepts new and gently-used basic household items. These donated items are given to individuals and/or families who have recently moved from the streets or a shelter into a new apartment and help make them feel at home.
Household Items Wishlist:
- Dinnerware (plates, bowls, etc.)
- Pots and pans
- Kitchen utensils
- Blankets/quilts in all sizes
- Sheet sets and pillowcases in all sizes
- Towels and washcloths
- New cleaning supplies (dish and laundry detergent, etc.)
- Garbage bags
- Reusable grocery bags
- Reusable water bottles
Items We Do Not Accept
SOME will not take the following items:
- Furniture (bed, lamps, tables, chairs, etc.)
- Exercise equipment
- Televisions, radios, boomboxes, VCRs
- Large household appliances (heaters, air purifiers, vacuums, etc.)
- Computers, printers, computer accessories
- Electronics and gaming consoles (radios, PS4, speakers, etc.)
- Large kitchen equipment (bread machines, ice cream makers, etc.)
- Used tupperware containers
- Home accessories and knick-knacks (clocks, artwork, baskets, etc.)
- Books and magazines
- DVDs, CDs, and records
- Games and puzzles
- Strollers, car seats, cribs
- Paint or chemicals of any kind
- Landscaping equipment and tools (rakes, shovels, mowers, etc.)
- Plants and pots
- Sporting equipment (balls, bats, gloves, skates, etc.)
- Bikes and scooters
- Wheelchairs, walkers, and canes
- Incontinence items (adult pads, diapers, underwear, etc.)
- Medicine and medical equipment
- Pet items (toys, kennels, food, etc.)